Welcome to the Kruger National Park, South Africa’s flagship game reserve.
Famous the world over for its fantastic wildlife safaris and regular sightings of the illustrious Big 5 (lion, leopard, buffalo, elephant and rhino), the Kruger Park in South Africa is often the first-choice safari destination for both new and repeat travelers. Plus, it caters to everyone, whether you’re on a family holiday, honeymoon safari, or simply there to view the incredible wildlife and birdlife. And if it’s luxury you’re after, you’ll find it here – within the Kruger Park’s private concessions.
Kruger Park private concessions
Within the main public areas of the Kruger Park, you need to adhere to strict rules: if you’re self-driving, you may not veer off the main roads (or go off-road). Because you are required to return to camp by a certain time each evening, you don’t get the opportunity to view nocturnal animals on night drives. The vast expanses of the main park mean that wildlife sightings could be few and far between – and when there is a particularly impressive scene (think: lions lazing in the sun, a leopard in a tree, or even hyena crossing the road), you can expect a traffic jam as several cars and tourist minibuses crowd the area to get the best views.
Private concessions on the other hand, while sharing unfenced borders with the main park, offer added benefits. There are fewer restrictions. You can enjoy private guided game drives, night drives and guided nature walks. And because of this, you’re virtually guaranteed Big 5 sightings. In fact, it’s not uncommon to see all the Big 5 in one day!
Private reserves in the Kruger Park typically feature luxury lodges, tents and villas set in spectacular environments, such as on the banks of a river, among the cliffs of a mountaintop or overlooking a watering hole. They’re designed to offer the ultimate in bush luxury, with personal guides, housekeeping staff, chefs and sometimes even butlers available to ensure your every need is met.
Luxury amenities and facilities such as private swimming pools, romantic treehouses (for sleeping under the stars), wine cellars, wellness centers, gyms – and more – round off your safari experience in sumptuous comfort.
And then there’s the food…
It’s not just about what you eat, although you can expect world-class cuisine prepared by master chefs, often featuring the flavors of Africa. On a luxury Kruger Park safari in a private game reserve, it’s also about where you eat. Think white linen breakfasts and high tea picnics served in the bush or lavish al fresco dinners beneath the stars. Even if it’s a biscuit and a cup of coffee served on a sunrise game drive, dining is always an experience on a luxury safari.
Why choose a luxury Kruger Park safari in a private game reserve?
- The private concessions share unfenced borders with the main park
- Virtually guaranteed Big 5 sightings
- Night drives and guided game walks are available
- Luxury accommodation in the best settings
- World-class cuisine
Our favorite luxury lodges in the Kruger Park private concessions
Our selection of Kruger Park accommodation is for the discerning traveler. Each luxury safari lodge showcases the best that private game reserves offer style, elegance, service, exclusivity, and above all, privacy.
Here’s why we love:
Lion Sands River Lodge
- We love the chic interpretation of the traditional safari lodge
- Only eight Luxury Rooms, six Superior Luxury Rooms, and four River Suites (each with a private plunge pool)
- Stunning river views and make for an intimate safari experience
- Warm and welcoming staff
- Famous for its record number of leopard sightings
- Luxury treehouses – these are the ultimate bush bedrooms where romantics, adventurers, and solitude seekers can discover the magic of a night out in Africa in complete luxury, falling asleep counting the shooting stars
Singita Boulders Lodge
- 2019 Travel + Leisure winner Safari Lodge
- Contemporary safari chic – sophisticated interiors, earthy colors, textured fabrics, wooden furniture and natural stone
- Built around an enormous boulder, it offers magnificent wraparound views of the rich bushveld and Sand River
- Twelve magnificent, glass fronted suites with two double suites available for families
- Luxury suites are air-conditioned and consist of sumptuous bathrooms, indoor and outdoor showers, an expansive living area with double-sided fireplace, mini-bar and fridge and private wooden leisure decks with a heated plunge pool
Londolozi Private Granite Suites
- Situated on the Sand River in the heart of the Sabi Sand Game Reserve
- One of South Africa’s first private game reserves, the emphasis is on conservation
- Luxurious accommodation: with only 3 rooms and 6 guests, the Londolozi private Granite Suites are the most exclusive in Africa
- Besides the chic décor, we love the sunset river bar and sunken cocktail lounge, which is suspended high above the Sand River for unbeatable views of elephant herds
You might also like: